[Cialug] OT: Teleconference Providers

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Apr 26 14:55:54 CDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there really any reason to go somewhere for teleconferencing? You can do
> it now with a computer and a webcam, a lot of laptops come with a built-in
> webcam, or even a smart phone.

Yes, but the quality can be limited:

1) The video quality of webcams is limited, especially those built
into laptops and the front-facing cameras on smart phones.
2) Webcams built into laptops and smart phones have an odd angle of view.
3) Microphones built into laptops pick up a lot of environmental
noise, especially from the keyboard.
4) You can use a headset to overcome the audio limitations of laptops
but seeing everyone with headsets on can be distracting.
5) Broadband internet speeds aren't universally available, which
further limits quality.

> Seems to me that a teleconferencing service is obsolete.

Video conferencing using laptops/smart phones has come a long way and
may meet your needs, but services that provide higher quality options
aren't dead yet.

--
Jeff Ollie