[Cialug] virtualbox scripts

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Sun Sep 25 18:46:26 CDT 2011

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Dave Hala Jr wrote:

> Here's a link to a nice little script that I found for starting and
> stopping Virtualbox guests from the command line on a RH/Centos 6 linux
> host.
>
> http://www.kernelhardware.org/virtualbox-auto-start-vm-centos-fedora-redhat/

If you want to manage Vbox VMs on the command line, just grab vboxtool;
one BIG thing you need to watch out for, however, .. is the VBox, by
default, stores VMs under YOUR user directory! Inaccessible to another
user, .. sometimes hard to find as root!

Also, managing VBox VMs associates your UID/GID with them - as soon as you
install VBox, I would recommend doing two things:

1) Create a standard location for ALL VMs (assuming you're not running on
a shared machine);

2) Create a separate user to own your VMx, e.g. vboxuser.

	Lee