[Cialug] Virtualbox under Ubuntu 11.04

Michael Davis mpdavis at iastate.edu
Wed Sep 21 11:45:25 CDT 2011

Command line VirtualBox management is available through VBoxManage, however,
that may or may not be the best solution.

Whether or not you should have used the client version depends on what you
want to do.  It is possible to install a GUI on the server version, it just
doesn't come installed by default.  sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop will
give you the full Ubuntu desktop, or to install it without addins like a
mail client and office software you can run sudo apt-get install
--no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop

Are you planning on only using this box for hosting virtual machines?  If
so, you may want to look into a hypervisor solution like Xen. A hypervisor
would allow you to use fewer of your limited resources running the host OS
and save those resources for the virtual machines.

Michael Davis
ECpE - Iowa State University
CHS Desktop Operations Staff
IASG Treasurer