[Cialug] virtualbox

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Mon Sep 19 08:06:36 CDT 2011

On 09/19/2011 07:55 AM, Dave Hala Jr wrote:

> Does it make a differance if there is a hardware raid setup with the
> following partitions? For example on the original machine the partitions
> are:
>
> /dev/rd/c0d0p2         16G  7.3G  7.7G  49% /
> /dev/rd/c0d0p1         99M   85M  8.8M  91% /boot
> none                  752M     0  752M   0% /dev/shm
>
> the drive is /dev/rd/c0d0, so the command for the grub entry would be:
> "ROOT=/dev/rd/c0d0" , right?

That makes more sense (but it's more ominous). It's likely that your
kernel doesn't see the disk when it's booting up because the module to
tap into the raid isn't being loaded from your initrd.  Then you have
the chicken-and-egg issue - you need the module loaded so as to access
the drive, but the module is sitting on the drive.

If that's the case, figure out what module drives your hardware raid,
and roll it into your initrd.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym                                      /\\