[Cialug] virtualbox

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Mon Sep 19 07:30:28 CDT 2011

On 09/19/2011 07:27 AM, Dave Hala Jr wrote:
> I'm running the current version of virtualbox on a Centos 6 host. I'm
> trying to start a rhel3 guest. Its starts to boot and I get the
> following errors:
>
> mkrootdev: label / not found
> kernel panic no init found
>
> I'm assuming this means it cant find any of my drive partitions. When I
> created the guest, I rebooted the server in single user mode, dd'ed the
> drive then did a VirtualBoxManage convertfromraw to create the vdi
> image.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Did you dd the drive or the partitions?  If you just did the partitions,
you'll need to use e2label for the partitions again.

This should be "bypass-able" by simply editing the grub entry, changing
ROOT=LABEL=/ to ROOT=/dev/sdXN, where X and N are the appropriate disk
and partition for your setup.

Hope that helps.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym                                      /\\