[Cialug] MythTV Sound card recommendations

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Tue Sep 13 23:09:54 CDT 2011

There is a half-height nVidia 210 card that has an HDMI port and is fanless for silent use in an HTPC for sale at newegg for $25:
http://newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121443

It is apparently supported by the snd-hda-intel kernel module, according to this xbmc wiki page (see the entry for the Asus EN210 card):
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_set_up_HDMI_audio_on_nVidia_GeForce_G210,_GT220,_or_GT240

If you are using the HDMI port with an audio/video receiver, then it looks like you could use this card.  I'm not at all sure if you will have to go through those instructions to set up ALSA if you are using pulseaudio or if mythtv requires the same hoops to be jumped through that they seem to think you'd need for xbmc.  The card will not give you any gaming abilities... it looks to be very similar in specs to my nVidia ION onboard gpu in my foxconn nt330i htpc, but that little box plays supported codecs in full 1080p without a glitch, even on an intel atom 330 cpu running at 1.6ghz.

I've been rather happy as an nVidia fanboy, even when it comes to Linux.  I use the proprietary drivers that nVidia makes available.   The HDMI port for the ION chipset in my htpc supports 5.1 channel audio in Ubuntu 10.04 and later (and probably earlier, but I've only had the box since the 10.04 days). I'm not sure what AMD is doing with the FOSS community, but someone else who follows the Radeon cards might be able to fill you in.  I'm sure the AMD cards support video codecs about as well as the nVidia cards do.

-- Matt
Sent from my Viewsonic gTablet