[Cialug] Windows 8

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:58:14 CDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> I don't know that this is a Windows fault, per se. The problem isn't exactly
> that Windows locks up data. As a matter of fact, many of the canonical
> Windows programs have been examples of how to expose the apps data and
> functionality as a service.

Well, my logic was like this:

1) Unix apps are a friendly bunch.  Therefore 2) It's possible for
apps to be friendly.
3) Windows apps are not friendly.  Therefore 4) Something is causing
Windows apps to be not friendly when they could be.

Generally, it's a lot to do with open source culture vs
proprietary-land.  But I think it's also to do with Windows apps
having to purposely expose their output, vs that being the default.

Props to Microsoft for working on fixing this (they really are) but it
was their fault to begin with.

> pretty cool stuff. As a matter of fact, Windows took a sheet from the UNIX
> play book with Power Shell. I've not used this capability, but as I
> understand it, you can pipe "objects" so that instead of having to parse
> plain text you get an actual object, with it's data and methods. That sounds
> pretty cool.

It is.  I'm growing to like it, and it's definitely welcome.  It's
nice that you keep an object intact so you can do intelligent things
with it down the line, instead of reading and manipulating flattened
text.  They do still have a long way to go with PowerShell though,
IMO, and I really hope they don't abandon it or let it stagnate like
they've been known to do in the past with some good ideas.

And viva la competition!

--
Todd