[Cialug] Wireless access points with multi-ssid and vlan capabilities.

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:49:07 CDT 2011

That Buffalo router is pricey. I have been using the Asus RT-N12 (about $40,
sometime on sale for less) with dd-wrt that has been very stable for me at
home - and have recommended it to friends who have also been happy with
them:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320039

If you're just doing one for home or something, this is a good option if you
don't need the USB storage option like the buffalo Andrew mentioned. I
dd-wrt on a cheap router because they're so flexible - you can use them for
a router, AP, wireless bridge, repeater...

The Engenius AP's are really nice.

Tom Pohl has been telling me about the Ubiquiti AP's - those look like an
attractive option if you're going to deploy managed AP's around a campus.

I've deployed the Cisco Aeronet equipment before (the older generation,
haven't used the latest yet) - it's nice when it works, but it's quirky to
set up, and it's one of those products that Cisco acquired, so things are
"cisco ish" but not quite normal Cisco syntax.

We also have set up campus AP's with Proxim equipment, which seem to be
pretty solid.

-dc