[Cialug] Windows losing on Download.com

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:40:41 CDT 2011

==================================

>From http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/are-windows-pcs-already-falling-to-smartphones-and-tablets/61728
:

"Over at ZDNet’s sister site, CNet, they recently reported on 15-years
of Download.com. I expected this to be little more than a nice
historical walk down a popular site’s past. Well, it is that, but it’s
also contains lots of bad news for Windows users.

"You see, in 1996, when Download.com was founded, 89.5% of its
downloads were Windows programs. Would you care to guess what the
percentage of Windows downloads are in 2011? It’s a mere 28%.

"Look still closer. What applications are Windows users downloading?
In the top ten list, four of the most popular programs are
anti-malware programs and one is a Windows clean-up program. That
tells me that when people are downloading for Windows the odds are
they’re doing it to try to keep Windows bug-free and functional."

I never did see the appeal of Download.com anyway.  In fact, the only
time I went there was to get Ad-Aware for friends' computers, and only
because the Lavasoft website was confusing.

--
Todd