[Cialug] dual web servers

Josh More jmore at starmind.org
Tue Oct 25 07:55:43 CDT 2011

The "right" way to do it involves a load balancer and will be costly.

A cheaper way to do it would be to set a script on your secondary server to
do periodic HTTP GETs on the primary and if one fails, changes DNS to point
to itself.  Then, if it succeeds, changes it back.  It's a bit of coding and
a bit of delay, but it should work OK in most situations.

The fundamental problem here is that DNS (for some stupid reason) only
supports priority on MX records.

-Josh