[Cialug] Wiping server hard drives

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Wed Oct 19 16:47:47 CDT 2011

I've used dban in the past, but it can be flaky recognizing raid
controllers.  I've had to break the raid and dban the individual drives.

I've also done shred -R, then writing /dev/random then /dev/zero then
/dev/random to the whole disk

then, if you don't need to keep the drives, I find high caliber
ballistics extra effective (and fun) :)

-barry