[Cialug] Restricted boot a very real possibility

Josh More jmore at starmind.org
Tue Oct 18 16:53:59 CDT 2011

The point I was trying to make involves branding.

If no computers are listed as "Windows 8 Compatible", the first manufacturer
to cave and do this gets a disproportionately larger slice of the market.
This provides encouragement to the other manufacturers to get "compatible"
so they can defend their slice.  Over time, this means that everyone has a
compatible system.  Sure, it's just sticker, but those stickers are on
almost all systems available today.  Microsoft used to require that to get
the "Windows 98" sticker, manufacturers were contractually forbidden from
offering any alternate operating systems.

It worked.

I think that this will work too.

-Josh More