[Cialug] Restricted boot a very real possibility

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Oct 18 16:53:19 CDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 03:52:39PM -0500, Matthew Nuzum wrote:
>
> > My biggest concern is the low-cost consumer systems sold in 1st world
> > countries.
>
> I have a question.
>
> We're talking about a sticker, right?  FTA:
>
>  Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to
>  distribute machines with the Windows 8 compatibility logo,
>  they will have to implement a measure called "Secure Boot."
>
> All this fear over a sticker that goes on a box?

No, it gets you discounts on the OS, opportunities to do special marketing
with Microsoft, access to support resources from Microsoft and lots of
fringe benefits.

This is in addition to the ability to show customers that your machine is
compatible with Windows 8, which is way more than just a sticker.

--
Matthew Nuzum