[Cialug] CalDAV/CardDAV

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Oct 18 16:27:25 CDT 2011

On Oct 18, 2011, at 7:38 AM, Claus wrote:

> Thanks Zach,
>
> I agree it's heavyweigth especially for the small scale I'm working on.
>
> Can you tell me about the features specifically regards to categorizing/grouping contacts and if that grouping is available in the various clients.  For example on iOS the Microsoft Exchange server displays the various folder groups.  With google (as exchange server) will show only "My Contacts" group.  The contacts of the other groups can be searched through the Global Address Book (but not browsed). Yahoos contacts (as CardDEV) are all listed together, ignoring any "Lists" that one has setup.
>
> So MS Exchange is doing what I really want but talk about heavy weight for personal usage.
>
> I'd like the categorizing/grouping to persist across clients (windows pc, android, iOs).

I can't comment on contacts management in Bedework -- I use LDAP for such things.

But I think you'll find the concept of externally-defined groups inconsistent if not entirely lacking in most address book clients. While both LDAP and CardDAV support named tree structures neither protocol provides a standard method to provide groups-by-reference, which is necessary if you want to put the same contact in more than one group. Now it's possible to build a server that does such things transparently (ActiveDirectory does such things for some record types) but there's no standard way for the client to know that mapping is going on, or for the client to tell the server that it should create a reference and not a copy when you add a contact to a group. So even if you get a client-server combo that does what you want it's unlikely that other clients will be able to make use of the same interface.

	Zach