[Cialug] OT: Failed Dell Fan Questions

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Tue Oct 11 11:24:56 CDT 2011

I had a FAN fail in an old Dell box (5+ years old).  The fan is attached to a cowling that covers the CPU and vents through the back of the tower.

I took the fan apart and tried a Silicon Spray to lubricate it -- that seemed to work; briefly.  The machine is now shutting down - I assume because of heat.

I plan to replace the fan.  Here are my questions:

Anybody have any good recommendations on places to get Dell replacement parts?

Is light oil a better replacement lubricant for fan bearings?  What about Graphite?

Thanks.

-Nate