[Cialug] Steve Jobs and ISU Alum...

David Runneals david at runneals.com
Mon Oct 10 21:28:58 CDT 2011

http://technologizer.com/2011/10/06/the-day-steve-gave-craig-elliott-a-porsche/

A neat article I saw popup in my twitter feed....

In 1985 Apple had a promotion called “Test Drive” where you could borrow a
Mac for the weekend from your local computer reseller.  At the same time
they had a sales contest for reseller sales people.  I had just finished my
undergraduate degree (Animal Science/Microbiology) and needed to make some
money for grad school, so I went to work for a local computer reseller in
Ames, Iowa (I was always the computer guy in the lab).  At the end of the
sales contest I got a letter from Apple (I knew it was legit because it was
done on a yet to be shipped LaserWriter) saying that I’d won and was invited
to Cupertino (my first trip to California).  There were other winners from
other regions (but I sold the most :) ) and I got to have dinner with Steve
and Mike Murray (VP of Marketing). As a guy that had been playing with Apple
II’s since 1978, it was more than a dream come true.  I was 24 years old,
 having dinner with Steve Jobs.  I personally understand the term “reality
distortion field”.  I also spent the week with other sales and marketing
execs at Apple in interviews, a tour of the factory and meetings. at
headquarters.  Steve gave me the keys to a Porsche 944 and then about 3
months later, Apple called back to see if I would consider moving to
California and work at headquarters.  I stayed for 10 years.  After my
second sabbatical, I helped found a new networking and communications
company called Packeteer as CEO, took it public in 1999 and retired in 2002
at 41.

Lots of people can rightfully say that Steve Jobs changed their life.

Me, too.

----

<http://www.4-h.org/about/revolution/>
David Runneals