[Cialug] 2Blob || !2Blob

Kevin C. Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sat Oct 8 19:01:57 CDT 2011

Any thoughts on the subject of storing binary data in an
RDB (PostgreSQL in this case)?

I need to implement some simple document storage in my webapp, but I'm
reluctant to put binary data in the DB. I don't yet have a rational
explanation for my reluctance. My first thought is to use
the file-system and put a pointer to the correct file in the DB.
During the last Pyowa meeting I spoke with people who use MongoDB
for this purpose.

though it had an underlying truth." -- Umberto Eco