[Cialug] RIP Steve Jobs

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Wed Oct 5 21:03:44 CDT 2011

You probably know Steve Jobs passed away today.

My first Apple was a //e and although I wasn't old enough at the time to
hack on it, I have the most beautiful memories of games like Crystal
Castles, Robotron, Spy Hunter and of course Oregon Trail.  catalog,
bload, brun!

In high school we ran the student mail server on a hacked Mac Classic
running (IIRC) Eudora Internet Mail Server.  Sometimes the thing would
crash and mail files would have to be hex edited in order for the
mailserver to start again.  Good times.

In one job I had, I used an SE/30 (those machines were little
Terminators!) to design ads for a newspaper using Quark Express.  I've
played with such gear since then and I'm amazed at how nimble and ahead
of their time they where.  (Yes, Sun was and still is doing cooler
stuff, but it was unaffordable.)

Every Mac I've ever had or used, I loved.

RIP, Steve.

Nicolai