[Cialug] Dropbox style service?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Nov 30 14:27:25 CST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> At 02:17 PM 11/30/2011, you wrote:
>

>  Unison provides multi-master file sync across arbitrary sockets on
>> Win/Mac/UNIX (and probably anyplace else with ocaml support). You'd have to
>> wrap it  a bit if you want the dead-simple interface of Dropbox, but that's
>> a much smaller job than writing your own sync client.
>>
>> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~**bcpierce/unison/<http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/>
>>
>>        Zach
>>

> Excellent - thanks! Since I have used neither Unixon nor WebDAV [also
> suggested elsewhere], does anyone have feedback on which would be 'better'
> and why?

Webdav is not a sync tool. It won't work offline unless the client supports
that (I think Windows does). Therefore when a person changes a file it
changes it for everyone. Furthermore, if there is a good chance two people
will want to open the file at once, make sure that the simplistic locking
capabilities built into Webdav work. I've never used Unixon so can't
compare.

--
Matthew Nuzum