[Cialug] Streaming USB webcam video

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Wed Nov 23 13:28:15 CST 2011

This is a horrible attempt at a multi-quote in email, but I'm on my tablet, so I don't want to respond twice.

Someone wrote, but I forgot who:

> The FTP process is part of the TinCam application. I do not see any place to
> change the process. I have changed various options but none have made any
> difference in the file security issue. I have not found where the script for the
> process is yet. I may try the other application that was suggested (Flumotion)
> instead.
>
> Thanks!

You can generally configure the FTP server to force all uploaded files to use a certain set of permissions.  I think vsftpd uses a config variable called something like "umask" or something that contains that term.  If you set it to "022" everything tht is uploaded has permissions of "644".  "022" is the default config for vsftpd, I believe.  If you don't "own" the FTP server, then you'll have no control over this, though.  I assume you're uploading to a web host, though, and they will generally compartmentalize user accounts like this by default.  If it *is* your server, then you should check to see if there is a settng that allows you to set default permissions.