[Cialug] Fwd: November Meeting Reminder - Git / Mercurial Workshop

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Nov 16 15:34:19 CST 2011

Bummer you missed the version control thing. Regarding your questions, here
are three suggestions for you:

1. Run Linux in a virtual machine - virtualbox.org is a free tool that lets
you run Linux inside of Windows.
2. Install Ubuntu using the Windows Installer, wubi. This lets you install
Linux without creating partitions. Some tasks may be slightly slower using
this method but for average computer usage it will be fine. If you don't
want Ubuntu any more you can simply install it as if it were any other
Windows program. [1]
3. Install your favorite Linux to a USB thumb drive which allows persistent
storage. [2]

The reason I suggest points 2 and 3 is that if you have persistent storage,
you should be able to download the required drivers for your wifi.

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer
[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download - scroll down to step 2
and chose the right options, then hit "show me how" to see how to make a
bootable thumb drive.

Another option you may like, you can run your own virtual server on the
Internet for about $5 per month. I use this service to run a testing and
development server https://service.burst.net/aff.php?aff=1511 (that's my
refer a friend link - If you sign up with that link I get a credit on my
bill).

Matthew Nuzum