[Cialug] _nomap for wireless networks

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:29:01 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Barry Von Ahsen <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:
> I guess I disagree - the broadcast nature makes it a little hazy, but it
> still seems a little tresspass-y to me.  in my example, is the onus on me to
> hide my car from the street?  the SCotUS seems to think so WRT GPS tracking

I guess I'm with SCOTUS on this one.  Sure, collection of ESSIDs is
something we haven't seen before, and some people who don't understand
this aspect of running an access point would probably not like it for
whatever reason.

But it's unreasonable to place the burden on Google or anyone else to
sort out the difference?  Personally, I kind of like the idea that I'm
contributing to the building of a brave new digital world.  Why should
someone who doesn't like the idea get to influence the outcome, when
he or she can easily opt out of participating?

I still don't understand why anyone would object, anyway.

--
Todd