[Cialug] _nomap for wireless networks

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Tue Nov 15 13:25:11 CST 2011

On Nov 15, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Barry Von Ahsen wrote:

> I'd come from the other direction and ask why they need it

They thought of some service they could offer by collecting it, and decided that service would be either directly or indirectly profitable. I don't understand why that's even a question.

--

Frankly I think the onerous should be on those broadcasting to ensure their data isn't sent to places they don't want it -- if you don't want Google to see your network traffic then don't go throwing it all over the road, or obfuscate it in such a way that you don't mind them seeing what makes it out there. We apply the same expectation of self-provided privacy to non-electronic access to your home; I can sit across the street in my living room and stare at your house all day, and it's up to you to put up a fence/curtains/etc. if you don't like it.

Consider a role reversal -- if Google created a website that they intended for use only by family and friends, but then broadcast it's address in public channels and didn't do anything to prevent unauthorized access, would you consider it "bordering on evil" to collect that address? Or would you expect Google to make some change to reduce their exposure/control access/etc. if they didn't want people to see the site?

	Zach