[Cialug] _nomap for wireless networks

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Tue Nov 15 09:02:54 CST 2011

On 11/15/2011 8:57 AM, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:37:30AM -0600, Todd Walton wrote:
>> Why would a person want to do that?  What's the benefit?  What's the
>> drawback of letting someone else determine their location by your
>> network?
>
> Lame, I don't want to change my ESSID to opt out.  It should be a opt-in
> sort of thing.  And the ESSID is about the lamest way to do it anyway.
> Not that there's a decent way to do it.  They really shouldn't be doing
> it at all.

agreed.  I just switched to not broadcasting (which is the easy option),
but evidently the itouch 3 makes you reenter your credentials each time
you connect

> Also, what mechanism exists for a browser to obtain a list of ESSIDs in
> the vicinity of your computer?  At least, I sort of doubt this has been
> implemented on xulrunner for NetBSD.

I think this is for google the war driver, not google the search engine.
  presumably this would also opt you out of their globally distributed
speed test system :)

-barry