[Cialug] multi-homed apache ssl

Aaron Porter atporter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 11:22:25 CST 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> You have to use your own public IPs, you can't use a Quest IP, for
> example, over an ATT route. Once you own your own IPs, they can be
> advertised by any upstream ISP.

This is only true for political reasons, and most ISPs will
(reluctantly) announce a subnet from a competetor for you, with any
number of caveats about actually getting it working. They'll probably
say no, but keep asking... that no just means "I've never been asked
before". As others have said -- working with anything smaller than a
/24 is going to be super painful and you're going to have to get the
"owner" of the IPs to document the fact you have their permission to
announce on another route before your backup ISP is likely to do it,
and they might ask you to renumber.

You'll still need an ASN, but that's a lot easier/cheaper than getting
an IPv4 block of your own from ARIN.