[Cialug] multi-homed apache ssl

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Nov 10 13:06:49 CST 2011

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Dave Hala Jr wrote:

> Suppose you have a router that supports BGP,  You have an internet
> connection from provider 1 and provider 2.  Your peered with provider 1
> and provider 2. You have a block of static ip addresses from each one.
> You have a single domain, and a bunch of secure websites. How would you
> configure apache so that when the connection from provider 1 dies, it
> automatically fails over to provider 2? I'm assuming that BGP isn't just
> going to make it work majically, right?
>
> :) Dave

The best solution is to use your own public IPs internally, .. that way no
matter how the traffic arrives, the final IP is the same. That would
require your own ASN, of course, and a block of IPs.

A simpler solution is to use two lines from the same ISP, .. for example,
we have two T1s for redundancy, and the IPs we use internally are the same
public IPs no matter which route is used. Since the same ISP is
'upstream', we do not need our own ASN as the multiple routes are handled
at the ISP's core router.

	Lee