[Cialug] Qwest subtly filtering port 25

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue May 31 15:10:49 CDT 2011

This is an interesting move. Presumably this is because more and more
_residential_ users are switching to a web-based mail system like hotmail
and gmail. Leaving the bulk of the smtp traffic to be spam sending malware.

Does this service effectively prevent the use of a native smtp client or
does it just prevent the client from using other smtp servers besides
Qwest's? I would guess that qwest would allow users to continue using the
qwest mail server. However the problem I've always run into is that if
you're using a mobile device then you can't send mail unless you're at home,
on the ISPs network.

A few years ago Verizon's residential DSL service in Florida had a different
policy. They declared all smtp traffic to be for businesses and residential
users weren't allowed to make SMTP connections to any server except theirs
unless you upgraded to the business DSL package. Do you think this is the
motivation of Qwest?

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Tim Perdue <cialug at perdue.net> wrote:

> Not sure if anyone else ran into this, but it had me vexed all week. I have
> used thunderbird for years from home to relay off an outside server and it
> just quit working and starting giving an error about SMTP timeout.
>
> Turns out Qwest has done some sort of subtle blocking of port 25 that
> causes SMTP to timeout, although the port appears to be open (you can telnet
> to it).
>
> http://mikedopp.com/2011/bold-move-from-qwest-to-block-port-25-traffic/
>
> A call to tech support got them to drop the filtering within a few minutes
> and my email works again.

Matthew Nuzum

looks like work." -Thomas Edison