[Cialug] Qwest subtly filtering port 25

Tom Pohl tom at tcpconsulting.com
Fri May 27 16:51:51 CDT 2011

Is it your server that you are sending to on the other side?

I ask because if they are filtering based upon a RBL like spamhaus.org's zen list, the mail server might be rejecting the connection because of a rule that qwest designated like spamhaus' PBL (Policy Block List):
http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/

You can remove your own qwest ip from such a list directly from spamhaus at the above URL.  Since you can telnet to port 25, that's why I think it may be PBL related because mail servers such as Qmail (toaster variety) will allow the connection, but drop you once you try to send mail through it.

Thanks!
-Tom