[Cialug] Ubuntu 11.04

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Fri May 20 10:30:39 CDT 2011

On May 20, 2011, at 9:19 AM, "L. V. Lammert" <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 May 2011, Nicolai wrote:
>
>> While we're on the subject, OpenBSD is written for and by its
>> developers.  Since its developers enjoy everyday "user" software like
>> Firefox and gimp and so on, and use modern hardware, they are supported.
>>
>>> Your comment about going to the openBSD mailing list is the same as asking
>>> for BBQ advice on a vegan forum.
>>
> And that proves the point - there is absolutely no reason to try and link
> this discussion with a nicely done OS that cares nothing at all for the
> marketplace.
>
>> Ask yourself: is it a "totally worthless philosophy" for people on this
>> list to make basic configuration changes on their own boxes?  Of course
>> not: we were talking about different things.
>>
> Indded it is, but not for the reason you are citing - Ubuntu is doing
> itself a GREAT disservice with it's scatter-gun marketing philosophy.
> Using untested, unworkable, and unappreciated technology in a product that
> is "designed for the asses" is, and you have to agree, pretty dumb.

Unity may be "unappreciated", but it isn't in any way "unworkable", nor does it appear to be "untested".  It works perfectly, and while it took me a while to get used to it, I am now using it and have no problems with it.  The only gripe I have with it is that it isn't customizable, which I'm sure you would agree is more of a non-mainstream-user activity.  I'm sure in the next release they will get some of the things they overlooked taken care of.

If you are talking about something other than the new user interface, then I haven't run into it.  Everything else is working fine except for the hardware drivers app saying that the nvidia driver isn't being used, but it has to be or I wouldn't be able to watch 1080p video on this atom CPU nettop.