[Cialug] Ubuntu 11.04

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri May 20 09:19:41 CDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Nicolai wrote:

> While we're on the subject, OpenBSD is written for and by its
> developers.  Since its developers enjoy everyday "user" software like
> Firefox and gimp and so on, and use modern hardware, they are supported.
>
> > Your comment about going to the openBSD mailing list is the same as asking
> > for BBQ advice on a vegan forum.

And that proves the point - there is absolutely no reason to try and link
this discussion with a nicely done OS that cares nothing at all for the
marketplace.

> Ask yourself: is it a "totally worthless philosophy" for people on this
> list to make basic configuration changes on their own boxes?  Of course
> not: we were talking about different things.

Indded it is, but not for the reason you are citing - Ubuntu is doing
itself a GREAT disservice with it's scatter-gun marketing philosophy.
Using untested, unworkable, and unappreciated technology in a product that
is "designed for the asses" is, and you have to agree, pretty dumb.

I said nothing about our end of the marketplace, however Ubuntu has had
for many years a marketing direction of mass appeal. Certainly you agree
that there is little mass appeal with such changes? *Especially* the ones
that don't work? You also have to agree that to ask users to tweak code in
order to make the system usable is also completely a non-starter.

> Here is the misunderstanding: I was talking about how to fix the problem
> people here were complaining about, while Lee (and maybe others) were
> talking about how to beat Microsoft.  We don't have the same motivations
> for using Unix.

Nobody was talking about fixing problems - I, and others [IOW the
'marketplace'] expect Ubuntu to provide a product that meets the marketing
philosophy expoused by the company. 11.04 DOES NOT! At the very LEAST, I
expect a product that is *usable* upon installation.

	Lee