[Cialug] Ubuntu 11.04

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu May 19 14:41:51 CDT 2011

On Thu, 19 May 2011, Nicolai wrote:

> Similarly, if people don't like the default window manager, why not exec
> their preferred one out of .xinitrc?  Nobody has to accept what they've
> been given.  Open source gives us the ability to configure the system as
> we see fit.

Unfortunately, there's a BIG problem with that philosophy: If I wanted to
twiddle with a system, I'd start with Debian. To expect users to twiddle
their system to get something usable is a totally worthless philosophy
and may even cause bigger problems for Ubuntu.

The other issue is that Ubuntu is *SUPPOSED* to build a system that the
general public can use! I wouldn't even TRY to explain Unity to a 'User'.

Luckily, Novell will be focusing more on user-level stuff this year, ..
hopefully they might make some progress.

	Lee