[Cialug] Old school fax question

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Sat May 14 21:46:26 CDT 2011

I've watched a lot of conversations with Lee Howard (A hylafax developer) and another DSP expert.  They do a lot of testing with different FAX machines and DSPs.

* Apparently there are some that simply do not work well together.
* If one side is using  a VoIP or SIP line there is a possibility that can cause timing issues.
* There are some Error correction systems that do not work well together, try disabling ECM if possible.

Disabling ECM might help with SIP or VoIP types of issues too.  Troublesome machines may include Brother and some older Canons.

-Nate