[Cialug] Can someone translate for me?

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 18:31:46 CDT 2011

You guys are slipping... all these responses and nobody suggested he type
"man tar" and Read The Fine Manual?

There are several good guides on using tar if you google for it, like this
one:

http://www.geekvenue.net/chucktips/jason/chuck/994016279/index_html

One pointer I didn't see anyone suggest, before I extract an archive, I
usually check to see what the extract path is going to be, like:

tar -tzvf myfile.tgz | less

That will tell you where it's going to be extracted.

Also, the file extension standards are:

.tar - just a tar archive, may contain multiple files and folders, but isn't
compressed.
.tgz or .tar.gz - a tar archive that has been compressed with gzip.
.gz - a file compressed with gzip.

-dc