[Cialug] des moines dell presence?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Mar 31 15:13:38 CDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:51 PM, jrnosee <jrnosee at gmail.com> wrote:

> True, the simplicity and durability of my dell keyboard is nothing to laugh
> at, though when I started my job almost 4 years ago and I didn't specify and
> special requirements for my PC order I'd never imagine they'd still have
> BALL MICE!  While I'm sure it still functions it got full of gunk so often i
> went out and bought my own wireless logitech.  I can't speak to their other
> stuff as I own a LOT of Logitech products.
>
> I only know my PC can get so bogged down in I/O to the drive that it will
> drop network connections, and cease keyboard/mouse input functions for 10-20
> minutes at a time.
>

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Scott Prader <sprader at iastate.edu> wrote:
>
>> And yet, they build their peripherals like tanks.

Like many companies, Dell has two completely different sub-brands that might
as well be from separate companies. There's the durable, business use line
and the lower cost, lower quality consumer oriented products.

The Latitude laptops are their business machines and are on par with Apple's
Mac Book Pro and Linovo's ThinkPad hardware in terms of build quality and
price. They have a few other lines that cater to consumers (such as
inspiron, but I'm not that up to date on this side of their business) and
the durability and build quality aren't even close to the same ballpark.

I've never tried out the Vostro hardware but I'm guessing it's closer to the
consumer line, though I do like the fact taht they supposedly come free of
bloatware.

I suspect that a lot of the criticism I hear towards Dell comes from working
with their consumer products. I've had several Latitudes (and a Thinkpad and
a MPB and an Armada which I consider all in the same class) and would
recommend or buy one in a heartbeat.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin