[Cialug] Lightweight linux for video on imac g4

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Thu Mar 31 14:09:35 CDT 2011

Um, if you just want to watch DVDs on it, why not just put a supported version of OSX on it?
1ghz g4 iMac should do 10.5.x - I have an 800mhz one that's running it OK, though it's not officially acceptable on that machine.
Heresy I know, but for the task, you're better off w/ an OS that has already worked for the task (and you won't have to break any laws to play a DVD in OSX).

Changing out the default stick would be tricky - those models had 1 stick you had to rip the world apart to get to and one "user accessible" stick that was a Small Outline (SO) DIMM. My guess is that it may have 256k sticks in both slots. If you do decide to go for it be VERY careful of the thermal paste - they didn't leave any room in that dome, so there's a lot of heat buildup if you don't get that put back together right.