[Cialug] Easy fixes for today's list spam

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Mar 31 11:00:05 CDT 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Nicolai wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 02:10:08PM +0000, Josh More wrote:
>
> > I have temporarily set the list to require admin approval for new
> > members.  If it is not too burdensome, I may keep it this way.
>
> I hope this is a temporary move, because (politically) it centralizes
> the group.

On the contrary, anyone can volunteer to be a list admin - the only affect
is to add some level of sanity into the subscription process.

> I would probably use the Spamhaus XBL & SBL lists but not Zen because
> Zen includes PBL (residential lines).  And some people here probably
> post from their cable modem and I think that's cool, besides the
> fact that open networking should be encouraged and can be easily
> supported in this situation.

PBLs are seldom a problem, as anyone without a static IP & reverse DNS
would be savvy enough to forward through gmail or their ISPs server.

There's enough SPAM in the world already without totally open mail lists.

	Lee