[Cialug] Linux Classes

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:00:21 CDT 2011

I don't remember what my first experience was, however I've had
wonderful results with a pair of O'Reilly books:

Learning the bash shell (Cameron Newham and Bill Rosenblatt)
Learning the korn shell (Bill Rosenblatt)

Both were published in the mid 1990's, and I've been trying hard to
replace them, without full success. They are very well structured, and
cover the details. Essentially the same book, with changes for the
differences between ksh and bash. I used them as references when
writing shell training courses for Wave Technologies in the 1999.

If you can find a newer edition (I hope there is one, if not now, then
soon) it would be helpful. Later references have details on newer
features of the shells, but these have features I find when I go back
and refer to them. Always helpful as references -- excellent indexes,
plus my own marks.

--Don Ellis