[Cialug] Mailing List Setup

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Mar 10 14:20:24 CST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 05:28:07AM -0600, Todd Walton wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org>
> wrote:
> > > So for example on this list, you'd get a message with a header like
> > > this:
> > >
> > >  From: cialug at cialug.org
> > >  To: cialug at cialug.org
> > >  Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 05:43:35 -0600
> > >  Subject: open source stuff
> >
> > That's what I'm going for.  The list I've setup should be primarily
> > for making announcements, and so if people just hit reply I want the
> > reply to go to the author of the email they're responding to.
>
> If you want replies to go to the sender, then all you have to do
> is ... nothing :-)
>
> This is a non-problem.  There is nothing broken and nothing for you to
> fix.

If you're a member of 3 or 4 different lists than you've probably seen it
configured both ways. I've heard compelling arguments for both
configurations. Because of this, we just have to make it a habit of looking
at the recipient address when we hit the reply button to make sure it's
going to go where we want. And pray that the time we mess up isn't
too embarrassing.

--
Matthew Nuzum

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin