[Cialug] tips for sharing files inside a VM

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Thu Mar 10 13:05:04 CST 2011

Are you set on having a mounted file system, or are you open to other
possibilities?  What's the web application server that's serving the web
apps?  If it's tomcat, there's a way to do a deploy to a  remote server.  I
believe it is a plugin to maven.  Or if the IDE is IntelliJ, I think you can
do it through that too.  If you're interested, let me know, and I'll do a
little more digging.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> I use Virtual Box on my laptop to run Ubuntu Server for testing the web
> apps I write. My plan is to be able to modify my code and refresh my browser
> to see the change immediately.
>
> I'm experimenting with an IDE that runs on my desktop (not in the VM) so
> I'm exploring ways to share my code from my local dev to the virtualized
> server. The only hitch is that there is a sub directory in my branch that is
> a link to a place in the virtualized file system. This folder is used for
> uploaded and system generated data and we like to keep it out of the branch.
>
> What I've tried that doesn't work:
>
> Sharing the folder with the virtual machine, mounting it in the machine as
> a remote filesystem and then trying to create a symlink from the mounted
> file system. However, virtual box does not support creating symlinks. :-(
>
> I've got a head full of ideas but I'm a bit frustrated because they all
> seem like messy or insecure hacks. I was wondering if anyone has a
> suggestions for a good way to do things. The host OS is sometimes Ubuntu
> sometimes Mac OS.
>
> The obvious solution that works is to use version control or sftp. I'm
> trying to think of something that just works so that I just hit save and
> then refresh.
>
> --
> Matthew Nuzum
> newz2000 on freenode, skype, linkedin, identi.ca and twitter
>
> "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin

Tim
Required reading: http://bccplease.com/