[Cialug] Promotion and Faith. (Was RE: A little something for everyone)

Scott Prader sprader at iastate.edu
Tue Mar 8 19:23:17 CST 2011

I never once stated that I meant any disrespect toward anyone or anyone's
beliefs at all, I'm sorry if that's how my words came across as, they were
not intended to be that sharp.  I was addressing the actual concept raised
that certain denominations ought to have special privileges while others
should not, and people certainly have the right to feel that way, but doing
so sharply emphasizes a want, not a need.

-Scott

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Stuart Thiessen <thiessenstuart at aol.com>wrote:

> I have noticed a number of you mention this. Actually, among Jewish people,
> it is customary to type G-d out of respect for the Divine Name, and likely
> Brian was being sensitive to that in his email (given his specific mention
> of orthodox Jews). It was not for the reason outlined below by Scott. While
> in some respects I understand some of your frustration with his post (and in
> other respects, I feel like you all are being a tad over-sensitive), this
> particular item has been majorly misunderstood and blown WAY OUT OF
> PROPORTION (emphasis intended). It is a way of showing respect to God's name
> and nothing else.
>
> There are many different world views on this list. I certainly agree that,
> for the context of this list, he would have been wise to have worded it
> differently. I personally feel that he is within his rights as an American
> to associate with whom he wishes to associate. You may disagree with his
> associations, but that is his choice, not yours. I was dismayed though to
> see how vehemently he was responded to. I was honestly turned off by some of
> the responses on this list.
>
> As someone who enjoys the technical side of this list, I hope that y'all
> can learn to let go of this and turn to more productive and on-topic
> discussions. It would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stuart
>
> On Mar 8, 2011, at 18:16 , Scott Prader wrote:
>
> > I think what bothered me the most about the post was the fact that Brian
> went out of his way to cross out the 'o' in the word 'Godly', as if that was
> going to change the context or stature of the word.  It's sort of like
> replacing a four-letter word with asterisks.... "what the ****?" The bottom
> line here is that we STILL know what it means.  This sort of behavior has
> been going on around the internet for well over a decade, so anyone that has
> any sort of background involving the internet, mailing lists, forums, etc is
> well aware that this sort of thing doesn't change the actual content of the
> message, it just means that if a kid happens to read it, the intent, and
> please correct me if I'm wrong here, is to make it so that they don't really
> know what we're talking about.

Scott Prader
Undergraduate Electrical Engineer
CARC, SSCL