[Cialug] Promotion and Faith. (Was RE: A little something for everyone)

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Tue Mar 8 08:47:11 CST 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 05:49:49AM -0600, Todd Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am very sorry. This was supposed to be off list. Evidently there is a bug
> > in Thunderbird 3 where both "Reply" and "Reply List" buttons send to the
> > same place.
>
> I believe this is a feature of the mailing list itself.  Gmail, for
> example, sends my email to CIALUG whether I hit Reply or Reply All.

There used to be a lot of debate/discussion about mailing list software
hijacking the Reply-To header.  There were good points for each
position, but in the end, the lowest common denominator won by sheer
numbers.

Good reading:

  http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

According to my understanding of RFC 2822, this mailing list, like many,
violates the rules pertaining to the Reply-To header.

It's been a long time since I thought about it, but IIRC correctly,
Mail-Followup-To was hoped to be a mailing list appropriate replacement
for Reply-To since Reply-To should be user-controlled.  That header is
supported by mail clients (mutt, Thunderbird, etc.) but didn't gain
enough traction, and is dead on Reply-To munging lists anyway.

Nicolai