[Cialug] Squid/IPTables help

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Mar 3 09:45:18 CST 2011

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011, albus wrote:

> Have you made sure you opened the firewall for the squid port. It's usually
> 3128 unless you've changed it.

Normal traffic is OK, turns out the problem was an issue in the configs
that we had as backups. The iptables script was pointing ssl traffic
*through* squid, something I would not expect; after recompiling squid for
ssl with no success, I had a reply from a chap in MI that confirmed what I
thought - ssl traffic should not be handled by squid as ssl will interpret
that as a 'man-in-the-middle' attack.

It appears that the backup copy I had was not the final version, as taking
that redirect line out of the iptables script fixed the problem.

	Lee