[Cialug] Wanted Topics Wanted

jrnosee jrnosee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:45:12 CST 2011

This is a list of ideas I dropped out there in 2009.  A lot of it is for
people who are new to linux or may be new to serving/hosting with linux.

Also, I'll throw in a couple of "others."  Right now I'm trying to back up
my multiple home PC's (windows 7 on most) to my linux box and then I'd like
to potentially back it up to the cloud.  Also, if anyone knows much about
LCDProc/LCD4Linux I could use some help!  Lastly, setting up and maintaining
a VM system. I use VMWare server (free) right now, but it's a pain to fix
back up each time a kernel update comes down on ubuntu.  Sometimes it kills
my VMWare install until someone comes up with a fix!

1.       Install and use of linux as a desktop os (replacing winblows)

a.       Verifying Hardware setup

                                                               i.      WiFi

                                                              ii.      Graphics
adapter

b.       Installing applications

                                                               i.      Office
replacement

                                                              ii.      iTunes
replacement

                                                            iii.      Outlook
replacement

1.       Inc. sync w/ mobile devices

                                                            iv.      Etc.

c.        Setting up preferences

d.       Remote access

e.        Gaming in linux (in brief)

f.        Etc

2.       Installing and configuring a Linux basic web server
(LAMP/XAMPP/etc)

a.       Linux Server install

b.       Apache install and basic configuration

c.        MySQL installation and tools (phpmyadmin?)

d.       PHP/Ruby/Rails/Perl/etc?

e.        Email POP3/IMAP/SMTP/other? Server

f.        DNS server

g.        Configuration of a-f.

                                                               i.      Perhaps
get recommendations for configuration tools and setup and use one of those?
i.e. Webmin.

h.       Log watching?

                                                               i.      Splunk
IT?

3.       Writing and compiling applications for Linux

a.       Scripting

b.       Console Applications

c.        X/GDM/KDE/other apps

d.       Web languages

e.        IDE’s

4.       Linux + old PC = …

a.       NAS

b.       Router

c.        Streaming Media Server

d.       ???

5.       Linux as a HTPC/Media Center (didn’t want to put this under “old
PC”)

a.       MythTV

b.       HDTV connections & graphics configuration

c.        LIRC

d.       LinuxMCE?

Would anyone else be interested in any of this?  I’d hate to waste the
group’s time if I’m the only one in need of some of this.  I was thinking #1
would be a good meeting after SFD.  We could try to set up the following
meeting in a larger space if possible and invite people who come to SFD to
come to the meeting for a more in-depth demonstration.