[Cialug] Avocent IP KVM

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Wed Jun 22 17:49:27 CDT 2011

All the Avocent KVM units I have used so far (single port to 16 port) have relied on JAVA to deliver the session.  Even the unit that required software to be installed used JAVA. That might be a factor since JAVA isn't "everywhere".

It never bothered me enough to find out why it was happening but on a VMware unit with a text console the console would sometimes stop responding and I would have to close the KVM session and reopen it to get it going again.

I've had pretty good results from the Avocent units I've used.  I'm on my third set of Avocent units now (mostly upgrades because of better technology)

-Nate