[Cialug] HDs

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Thu Jul 28 17:48:09 CDT 2011

Are you sure it's not power related? I've seen several drives that won't
work with USB because they need more than 500ma to run or start. Most
computers now days will not allow a USB device to consume more than 500ma.
This causes unpredictable behavior.

This is a moot point if you're using a USB drive that has a power cable.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> This is the SECOND drive that I have encountered in the past few weeks -
> the drive spins up, but it is not detected by the kernel [using a USB
> adapter].
>
> At one point I got an indication of sdf in dmesg, .. but could not fdisk
> /dev/sdf.
>
> Any suggestions to recover other than spend $3K at a clean room?
>
>        Lee

Matthew Nuzum