[Cialug] Install of Ubuntu 11.04

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 09:28:34 CDT 2011

If you want to poke around on the command line... here's a couple of things
you could look at:

Type "dmesg | less", and page through that for info on your wireless
adapter, probably called something like wlan0.

Once you figure out the device name, you can try:

iwconfig wlan0

This will show you if it's connected to anything. Ideally it will show the
MAC address of your wifi access point.

To manually connect:

iwconfig wlan0 essid <your ap's essid>

iwconfg wlan0 enc <your encryption key>

iwconfig wlan0

If this is successful, you'd now see your AP's MAC address.

I haven't had much luck with Ubuntu's wireless config tool myself.

-dc