[Cialug] Cialug Beginnings

Morris Dovey mrdovey at iedu.com
Wed Jul 20 15:12:01 CDT 2011

On 7/20/11 1:58 PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Matthew Nuzum<newz at bearfruit.org>  wrote:

>> Ah crap. I may have just started a flame war.

>> follow your heart. ;-)

<flames intensity=mild> :-) </flames>

> Actually, most people are asking the wrong question when they ask what
> language and/or framework and/or whatever they should learn next (and
> the same goes for people that answer these questions).

True, but Pawel isn't most people - and didn't ask that question. :-)

> The RIGHT question to ask/answer is - what project do I find
> interesting and would like to contribute to?  Once you've answered
> that question (and there's only one person in the universe that can
> answer that question), then you figure out what you need to learn to
> contribute.

Bravo! I don't know about the rest of the group, but I've never worked
on a project that /didn't/ require learning something new - sometimes a
new language, sometimes a new architecture, and (a couple of times) the
top-to-bottom operation of a complete enterprise.

In spite of how much I like what Jeff said, this is _still_ not an
answer to the question actually asked. :-/

...Morris