[Cialug] Cialug Beginnings

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Jul 20 13:58:58 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> Ah crap. I may have just started a flame war. (Welcome to Linux) In hopes of
> offsetting that, let me just encourage you to seek input from multiple
> people then follow your heart. ;-)

Actually, most people are asking the wrong question when they ask what
language and/or framework and/or whatever they should learn next (and
the same goes for people that answer these questions).

The RIGHT question to ask/answer is - what project do I find
interesting and would like to contribute to?  Once you've answered
that question (and there's only one person in the universe that can
answer that question), then you figure out what you need to learn to
contribute.

Want to write a Linux kernel driver for that old USB thingamabob that
you have laying around?  You'll need to know C.

Want create a plugin for WordPress?  You'll need to know PHP.

Et certera, et cetera.

The interesting part comes when you want to do something that hasn't
been done before, then start with what you know and only start looking
to learn something different if what you know won't get the job done.

Jeff Ollie