[Cialug] looking for new hosting

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 6 22:23:24 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:

> If you want a super low cost VPS option, I have a development server with
> burst.net. It's $5.99 /mo or $5.00 if you pay yearly. It's a 512MB VPS
> that uses OpenVZ so no swap. Multiple OS choices. If you're interested, use
> my refer a friend and I get a month free or something:
> https://service.burst.net/aff.php?aff=1511
>
> I've set people up with that and ISPConfig and you can run your own hosting
> server pretty easily.

And not to beat a dead horse, but I just found out they're having a 20% off
sale on Linux VPS. So if you click that link and then at checkout enter the
promo code MEMBANK20 you can get a VPS for as little as $3.97/mo (assuming
you pay for a year).

I know, that's cheap. The only two problems I've had with them are that the
disk i/o is very mediocre and the OpenVZ platform doesn't allow swap, so
when you run out of memory you get the good ol' fashioned "things start
getting spontaneously killed" effect.

--
Matthew Nuzum