[Cialug] graphical `write`?

chris rheinherren c.rheinherren at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 10:59:49 CST 2011

I've got g(x)message installed.

I can send myself a pop up message using the terminal on the same machine.
I can send myself a pop up message using the terminal from another machine
while SSHing into the machine running the GUI.
However I cannot send another user on the machine a popup message on their
display.

chris at outlaw:~$ gmessage -display :0 -center "Test" &
[1] 23973
chris at outlaw:~$
chris at outlaw:~$ gmessage -display :1 -center "Test" &
[2] 23974
chris at outlaw:~$ No protocol specified
gxmessage: unable to initialize GTK

[2]+  Exit 1                  gmessage -display :1 -center "Test"

I get a no protocol specified error message and a unable to initialize GTK
messsage as well.

I am SSHing into the box from a remote location.

USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
chris    tty7     :0               Fri17   17:27m 55:35   0.99s
gnome-session
chris    pts/0    68.66.64.225     10:53    0.00s  0.71s  0.01s w
kristen  tty8     :1               08:01   17:27m 15:59   0.29s
gnome-session

Thoughts on how to fix it?